Tuesdays are always my day off- my one day of the week where I can tidy the house, get caught up on the laundry and do the grocery shopping.
Since I have more time at home I am much more likely to try out a new recipe on a Tuesday. And here it is. I have never attempted this before and I am so happy with the way it turned out-- especially since I used brown rice (& you couldn't even tell it was brown rice!).
This recipe is definitely a keeper!
Jamaican Rice & Peas
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1-2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, whole
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- heat up the olive oil in a pan over medium heat and saute the onions for a couple minutes, then add the garlic for another minute or two
- pour the rice, beans, coconut milk, chicken stock, in to a pot over high heat
- bring pot to a boil then add in the onion, garlic and scotch bonnet pepper whole (do not cut! keep it whole, it doesn't give off any heat, just flavour!)
- cook rice according to directions on the package and serve!